Weeks Before Your Move: 8
- Get estimates from rental truck companies or van lines.
- Plan a garage sale if you have any unwanted items.
- If you have children, arrange to have school records transferred.
- Keep all receipts, papers and estimates relating to the move in a folder; you may be able to claim some of it on your taxes.
Weeks Before Your Move: 6
- Pick a rental truck or van line company, book a pick up and drop off date/time.
- If you are relocating to a different city, be sure to ask your lawyer, doctor and any other providers for referrals and any relevant documents.
- For pets, ensure they get a check-up before you leave, and you get a copy of any veterinary records.
- Confirm dates with real estate agent and/or landlord.
Weeks Before Your Move: 4
- Ensure a disconnect date is set for any utility companies.
- Set up a connection date for any required services at new address.
- Update/cancel any newspaper or magazine subscriptions for your move-out date.
- Ensure any necessary change of address information has been submitted to the post office.
Weeks Before Your Move: 1
- Defrost the freezer and clean out items from the fridge.
- If you are moving/driving a long distance, ensure care maintenance up to date.
- Confirm connection date/time for any services or utilities at the new address.
- Close up or transfer bank accounts and clean out any safe deposit boxes.
The Big Day!
- Plan to spend the entire day at home, with the movers.
- Make sure to carry any valuable items or family heirlooms personally.
- Right before the movers leave, complete a final inspection of the entire home. Ensure that nothing has been left behind in any closets or drawers.
- After the final sweep and before you head off, make sure all windows are closed and doors are locked.
Services and Utilities
For more advice on how to simplify your next move, please contact us!